Lay Deputyship Services

When someone becomes mentally incapable of handling their financial affairs or making personal welfare decisions, and they have not created a Lasting Power of Attorney prior to losing capacity, it is necessary to appoint a deputy to manage those affairs and make important decisions on their behalf.

Deputies must be over 18 and they must be of sound character (therefore criminal convictions and bankruptcy may impede an application). It is also an expectation that the proposed deputy will have a close connection to the incapacitated party, or that they will be a qualified professional.

The first port of call is to see if a close friend or relative of the person is able to act. This is often sensible in cases where limited decisions need to be made, where there is consensus amongst family members about treatment or financial decisions or where the person’s assets are of a limited value and fairly straightforward in their management.

There are certain situations where it is more appropriate for a professional deputy (usually a solicitor) to be appointed, instead of a family member.

We can provide support every step of the way from making the application to the Court of Protection for a family member to be appointed as a deputy through to providing assistance with carrying out the day to day duties of a deputy, including completing the annual deputy’s return that needs to be filed.

We can offer advice, support and guidance to help lay deputies undertake their role effectively and confidently, whilst adhering to their Court ordered responsibilities.

Please contact us for more information about lay deputyship applications and support.

For our factsheet containing more information about our Lay Deputyship Services, please click here.

Request a call back

Send us an email (below) with your name, number, email and preferred time for  a call back and we will be in touch.

Client Testimonials